0012 Prepare an Organized, Developed Composition
Practice Writing an Essay
This program provides you an opportunity to write an essay under conditions similar to those of the WEST-B. As preparation for writing an essay, you need to practice the process.
Follow the steps listed below:
- Create a brainstorming diagram for your chosen topic.
- Write a clear statement of purpose.
- Write your thesis statement.
- Write a rough outline for your essay which must, at a minimum, include the topic to be developed in each paragraph.
- Follow your outline and write the essay. Do not allow yourself to be distracted.
- Revise your essay.
- Look closely at transitions between sentences and paragraphs.
- Eliminate wordiness, slang, or jargon.
- Make certain a variety of sentence patterns are used.
- Maintain a consistent point of view.
- Check spelling, punctuation, pronoun usage, etc.