Demonstrate the Ability to Compose a Developed Composition in Standard Written English on a Given Topic
The Writing subtest also requires you to write an essay in addition to answering multiple-choice questions.
Since you have a total of one and one-half hours to complete both sections of the Writing subtest, you should allocate approximately 45 minutes to complete the task of writing your essay. This is a guideline, however, and each writer should allocate his time accordingly depending on his strengths or weaknesses.
Your essay should effectively communicate a whole message to the specified audience for the stated purpose. You will be assessed on your ability to express, organize, and support opinions and ideas. You will not be assessed on the position you express.
Official Instructions for Competency 0004 Written Assignment: In response to an assignment, demonstrate the ability to compose a developed composition in Standard Written English on a given topic.
- Use language and style appropriate to the specified audience and purpose.
- State and maintain focus on a thesis statement.
- Provide reasoned, relevant, and specific support to develop the thesis statement and to expand on ideas and assertions.
- Employ an organizational structure that enhances meaning and is logically sequenced from sentence to sentence and from paragraph to paragraph.
- Use precise word choice and accurate, effective, and varied sentence structure.
- Employ correct grammar, usage, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.