DEMONSTRATION ONLY: This demonstration presents an abbreviated version of the complete Accuplacer course. Click 'Next' at the bottom of the screen or make a selection from the links on the left to begin. Not all links are available for the demo.
About Accuplacer Writing
The Accuplacer WritePlacer test measures your ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success.
You will be asked to provide a writing sample in response to a specific prompt. The assessment measures your writing skills at the level expected of an entering level college student. The test is used to assess your writing skills in order to determine the need for developmental instruction before enrolling in college-level English courses.
Upon completing the Accuplacer WritePlacer test, the computer is trained to evaluate the overall effectiveness of an essay based on the following writing features:
- Focus—The clarity with which you maintain your main idea or point of view
- Organization—The clarity with which you structure your response and present a logical sequence of ideas
- Development and Support—The extent to which you elaborate on your ideas and the extent to which you present supporting details
- Sentence Structure—The effectiveness of your sentence structure
- Mechanical Conventions—The extent to which your writing is free of errors in usage and mechanics
Feedback includes a general explanation of the essay score. In addition to the overall score and explanation, each of the individual areas on which the essay is assessed is discussed and assigned its own score.