DEMONSTRATION ONLY: This demonstration presents an abbreviated version of the complete MTEL course. Click 'Next' at the bottom of the screen or make a selection from the links on the left to begin. Not all links are available for the demo.
0012 Demonstrate the Ability to Prepare a Well-organized and Focused Piece of Writing for a Given Purpose and Audience, Using Standard English Conventions
Practice Writing an Essay
This program provides you an opportunity to write an essay under conditions similar to those of the MTEL. As preparation for writing an essay, you need to practice the process.
Follow the steps listed below:
- Create a brainstorming diagram for your chosen topic.
- Write a clear statement of purpose.
- Write your thesis statement.
- Write a rough outline for your essay which must, at a minimum, include the topic to be developed in each paragraph.
- Follow your outline and write the essay. Do not allow yourself to be distracted.
- Revise your essay.
- Look closely at transitions between sentences and paragraphs.
- Eliminate wordiness, slang, or jargon.
- Make certain a variety of sentence patterns are used.
- Maintain a consistent point of view.
- Check spelling, punctuation, pronoun usage, etc.