0014 Prepare a Developed Composition on a Given Topic Using Language Consistent with a Given Audience and Purpose
Practice Writing an Essay
This program provides you an opportunity to write an essay under conditions similar to those of the VCLA. As preparation for writing an essay, you need to practice the process.
Follow the steps listed below:
- Create a brainstorming diagram for your chosen topic.
- Write a clear statement of purpose.
- Write your thesis statement.
- Write a rough outline for your essay which must, at a minimum, include the topic to be developed in each paragraph.
- Follow your outline and write the essay. Do not allow yourself to be distracted.
- Revise your essay.
- Look closely at transitions between sentences and paragraphs.
- Eliminate wordiness, slang, or jargon.
- Make certain a variety of sentence patterns are used.
- Maintain a consistent point of view.
- Check spelling, punctuation, pronoun usage, etc.