0015 Demonstrate the ability to develop a focused, well-organized piece of analytical writing that is appropriate for a given audience and conforms to the conventions of Standard American English.
Practice Writing an Essay
This program provides you an opportunity to write an essay under conditions similar to those of the PAPA. As preparation for writing an essay, you need to practice the process.
Follow the steps listed below:
- Create a brainstorming diagram for your chosen topic.
- Write a clear statement of purpose.
- Write your thesis statement.
- Write a rough outline for your essay which must, at a minimum, include the topic to be developed in each paragraph.
- Follow your outline and write the essay. Do not allow yourself to be distracted.
- Revise your essay.
- Look closely at transitions between sentences and paragraphs.
- Eliminate wordiness, slang, or jargon.
- Make certain a variety of sentence patterns are used.
- Maintain a consistent point of view.
- Check spelling, punctuation, pronoun usage, etc.